Ruby Red Nicky (Fan Edition)

It's been a long time since I updated my blog. Work, personal life events and turmoil of last several years kept me away, although I continued to knit, crochet and sew - and listen to my favorite music - nonetheless. And I did acquire quite a few new dolls and made clothes for them :).

And today I am sharing my most recent arrival - a beautiful Ruby Red Fashion Friends Nicky (Fan Edition). This doll was created as a result of a special initiative where fans of the doll designer and manufacturer Ruby Red Galleria can participate in development of new themed dolls. The story of Nicki's creation is here.

I used to be indifferent to Ruby Red dolls, but, as it happens sometimes, you just catch the bug and it simply won't leave your system. Until you begin 'treatment' and these dolls just start arriving at your doorstep. So that's what happened with me, and this summer I acquired a few Ruby Red dolls (which I will feature here at a later time).

I pre-ordered Nicky in mid-July. Why was I attracted to her? Because I like brunettes :) and I think Nicki is a little bit of a rebel with her goth / comics / superhero vibe. She looks serious and determined, while projecting coolness, calm and quite a bit of style. I like girls and women like that, and I'm a little bit like that myself (or so I think :)).

So Nicky arrived this afternoon, and here she is in all her glory.

Every doll arrival starts with opening a box, and here is the box Nicky came in. It features her face, name and a pleasant purple color scheme. I found the quality of printing somewhat subpar, as print looked washed out.

That's how Nicky is positioned in the box. This is a typical packaging setup for Ruby Red dolls - at least for those I have acquired thus far. I like that clothes, shoes and accessories are separate (which prevents staining) and that the doll head has extra packaging to prevent damage.

Nicky after the head packaging is removed. Her alabaster skin is one of her best features and gives a BJD vibe. The doll has black nail polish on her hand and toe nails which contrasts with her white skin beautifully. 

Here's Nicky just out of the box next to her wig.

Nicky's outfit includes a skirt, a white top, leggings, a pair of boots and gloves. Nicky's clothes came wrapped in white tissue, and boots and gloves were packaged in plastic bags.

Nicky's leggings are made quite well:

Nicky's skirt is a complex creation. This is the skirt proper made of polyester fabric, with a plastic strip with thin orange edge. Not sure why - perhaps it is reflective.

The back of skirt has a kind of a train attached, which is made of completely different and rather elegant drapey polyester fabric - the one you can find on formal skirts and gowns. I think it is meant to create a vision of a superhero cape.

Nicky in her skirt. Note a Velcro closure on the left side.

I liked Nicky's top the most. It is very well made. It has black sparkly stars, shiny sleeve trim and neck decor that looks as if Nicky is wearing a necklace. Boots are absolutely high quality, very easy to put on. Gloves were a little bit of a challenge, but I did not have too much difficulty putting them on Nicky either. It is a very well put together outfit as a whole.

Another stunning feature is Nicky's eyes. The cat-like eye shape and make-up makes them very expressive and provides even more associations with heroines of comics and so forth. Bright lips are adorable. 

I am not a big fan of Ruby Red red cheek coloring - I think in many cases they overdo it, and my preference would be no cheek color at all, or a very light color. In this case it is not too bad, although it looks like there is a little bit more red on the right in comparison with left cheek. It depends on the way the light is falling, and if there is an imperfection, I can live with that.  

Overall Nicky's face is just a delight to look at.

A few words about Nicky's wig. If you noticed, it is detachable. At first my daughter and I could not understand why the wig does not stay on Nicky's head - but that's because we did not notice a package with a silicon cap that came with the box! Once we put a cap on, securing a wig was not that hard.  Eventually I may acquire additional wigs for Nicky, as she could be a classic beauty in a variety of styles! 

Here's Nicky prepared to fly to her next mission:

Nicky comes with a little notepad (its back is shown on the left) and an 'identity' card that describes everything about her.

Hope you loved meeting my Nicky just as much as I did! I must say that she exceeded my expectations and turned out to be even more beautiful in person than in promotional photos. I look forward to enjoying her and making her a number of outfits in the nearest future :). 

 

Comments